The ponderings of Miss McT

A collection of my ramblings...

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Eeesh I'm slacking...

...a whole 8 days since my last post, tut tut! Guess it's a good sign really because it means I've been busy. I quite like being busy (though obviously there's busy and there's too busy!)

Right first up...

I spent the weekend in Cambridge with Becky and Gareth and it was looooovely. It was my third and longest visit to Cambridge - what a stunning city. It really is magnificent. It still tickles me to see so many bikes! Gareth showed us all the sights - we wandered round various colleges (WOW!) and he selected our entertainment very well. (Thanks Big G!) On Saturday we did lots of wandering taking in the sights and sounds of Cambridge, we had a gorgeous meal in a lovely Meditteranean restaurant and boogied the night away to some very funky tunes in Soul Tree. On Sunday we went to mass at King's (we wanted to see the choir!) The mass itself was rather freaky if I'm honest. I've only ever been to church services in our local church and it's fairly informal there but at King's there is the whole shabang! I'm really pleased we went thoguh - the choir were amazing and the building itself is totally breathtaking. The changes in light made such an impact on the interior of the building - the coloured light reflecting from the stained glass windows danced about the walls. Gorgeous.

*Even* GNER surprised me. Shock horror I know! We got down to Cambridge in 3 hours on the firiay night with no problems. On the sunday there were scheduled engineering works - we had to make 3 changes including a bus journey. In total it was estimated to be a total journey tiem of 4.5 hours and we made it in that. All the changes and bus transfer were smoothly handled. I was impressed. Well done GNER. For once you got it right!

Back to work...

Had a pants day yesterday but I'll spare you the details! There was one quite intriguing development. I received an invitation to join "Beau Monde", a ladies social club set up by one of the younger teachers and her friend after a drunken discussion over Christmas. They were ranting about how hard it is to meet people and make time for social activities so they decided to do something about it. The idea is to arrange a social event for the first saturday of every month. It seems like a weird idea at first but I guess it's just a reflection of the changing times - life is so hectic that people forget/don't get chance to have a bit of 'me' time and get themselves out there in situations where they wil lmeet like-minded people whose company they can enjoy. Take the rise of internet dating and online chatrooms/networks - I guess this is just an extension of that idea and these sorts of things will continue to grow in popularity.Well I'm going to give it a go - I've nothing to lose and perhaps friends to gain. That's gotta be a good thing. It was a nice surprise anyway.

Ooooh Big Brother is calling....

2 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, January 24, 2007, Blogger Mike said…

    "life is so hectic that people forget/don't get chance to have a bit of 'me' time and get themselves out there in situations where they wil lmeet like-minded people whose company they can enjoy"

    "Ooooh Big Brother is calling...."

    Oh, the irony.

     
  • At Wednesday, January 24, 2007, Blogger Sarah said…

    But that's different! I was referring to actual 'social time' with people - that requires more 'effort' and time than the hour you grab at the end of the night to sit down and watch Big Brother - it's not the same. You're a cheeky bugger! :0P

     

Post a Comment

<< Home