The ponderings of Miss McT

A collection of my ramblings...

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Fancy a bit of torture and brutality for Christmas...

At Christmas I always watch a lot of films and between us in our house we got a fair few DVDs. I would like to think I have quite broad taste when it comes to films. I'll sit and watch most things and be able to appreciate something about them.

However when my sister suggested we watch Hostel, it was a straight up NO! I've heard quite a bit about Hostel and people's eyes tend to light up when they're talking about it, like they get some kind of pleasure from watching, I quote, "a dark, bloody exploration of torture and evil". This scares me somewhat - surely it is wrong to 'enjoy' watching this? What does this say about the people who enjoy watching it? It disturbs me!

These are the comments on the DVD cover:
"Graphic and deeply disturbing, Hostel is one of the most brutal films ever made!"
"The goriest, sickest, bloodiest movie you'll ever see"
"A disgusting film...but in a good way"
"You'll laugh, you'll scream, you might even puke"

Errrrm well done Mr Tarantino, pat on the back...

Though I haven't seen the film in it's entirety (the 2 minutes I did see - a young man tied to a chair and gagged, facing a chainsaw, practically choking on his own vomit - made me feel sick) I can't see that there is any hidden meaning or overarching message. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I'll stick to whatever else is on offer on TV this Christmas thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home